Plus tax - Total: 104.95 CAD
What is a Separation Agreement?
A Separation Agreement is a written contract that describes how the legal issues arising from the ending of a relationship – either marriage or Common Law – are to be resolved. A Separation Agreement, which is legally binding, sets out the rights and obligations of all parties.
What are the Legal Issues often dealt with in a Separation Agreement?
There are many legal issues dealt with in a Separation Agreement. Some of the more important ones are:
- Legal issues relating to children in the relationship, including parenting time, contact with the child, child support payment, special or extraordinary expenses, parenting decisions, and guardianship.
- Legal issues relating to property and debt division.
- Legal issues relating to spousal support.
A Separation Agreement can be used even though not all legal issues have been resolved by the parties. You can essentially write a Separation Agreement for the legal issues agreed upon and leave the contested issues for a court to decide. It is far cheaper to have a judge decide only those issues on which there is no agreement than deciding all issues resulting from the breakdown of the relationship.
What are the benefits in having a Separation Agreement?
- The environment in which a Separation Agreement is created is usually non-adversarial, resulting in a greater chance that a good relationship can be maintained.
- A Separation Agreement allows for a degree of flexibility in how issues arising from the ending of a relationship can be dealt with.
- A Separation Agreement is less costly than having to go to court.
- Because of the time involved in a court process, dealing with issues through a Separation Agreement can be a lot quicker.
- Through a Separation Agreement you participate in determining how issues are to be resolved and dealt with, meaning that the court will not impose a decision for you.
- People are more likely to adhere to the terms of a Separation Agreement than a court decision.
- Separation Agreements can be customised to take into account your specific circumstances.
Why use Onion Legal to help with creating your Separation Agreement?
Onion Legal’s Separation Agreement has been thoroughly reviewed by B.C lawyers to ensure that it meets with the strict requirements of the laws of British Columbia. By filling out our simple questionnaire you will create a comprehensive Separation Agreement. We are confident that the Onion Legal Separation Agreement you have created, will surpass your expectations and more importantly give you the peace of mind you are looking for.
What does Onion Legal’s carefully drafted Separation Agreement contain?
Onion Legal’s Separation Agreement contains clauses dealing with the following issues:
- Guardianship of the children of the marriage, including parental responsibilities, parenting time and the residence of the children;
- Payment of child support, spousal support or both;
- Occupancy and ownership of the family residence, recreational property or revenue property;
- Division of pensions or Registered Retirement Savings Plans;
- Maintenance of the Registered Education Savings Plans;
- Division of business interests;
- Division of motor vehicles;
- Division of any other assets or liabilities; and
- Manner of resolving disputes.
How do I commence the process of creating my Separation Agreement?
Simply click on the link below and purchase our Separation Agreement, fill out a simple questionnaire. When you submit your questionnaire, your Separation Agreement will be assembled and emailed to you. It is that easy!