Plus tax - Total: 31.45 CAD
What is a Representation Agreement?
A Representation Agreement is a legal document, not dissimilar to a Power of Attorney, that allows for the appointment by you of a person close to you, whom you can trust, and who would be willing to represent you in managing your financial affairs, your health or personal care decisions in the event you become incapable of making decisions on your own behalf or otherwise not in a position to communicate your wishes.
However, it is important to point out that lawyers generally suggest that an Enduring Power of Attorney be used in order to give others authority over your financial affairs. For decisions relating to your personal care or health care only, lawyers recommend that a Representation Agreement be used.
Who should make a Representation Agreement?
A Representation Agreement should be made by every adult in B.C. A Representation Agreement will ensure that important decisions can be made if you are incapable of making those decisions on your own behalf.
What are the benefits of having a Representation Agreement?
There are numerous benefits to having a Representation Agreement, some of which are listed below:
- Where a medical emergency situation arises, or in the event you become incapable of independently making decisions on your own behalf, you can ensure that full and complete consideration is given to any important decisions and wishes you may have, and that such decisions and wishes are followed fully.
- Should you have specific wishes and beliefs in relation to your health care, you can elect under a Representation Agreement to have a person whom you trust to act as your representative, who will have the required legal authority to ensure that those wishes and beliefs are adhered to. He or she will also have access to your medical and health care records.
- There are occasions when the risk of being taken advantage of, due to your vulnerability, could be high. This could be by family members or friends who don’t have your best wishes at heart, and could also include caregivers or acquaintances. A Representation Agreement will protect you by allowing your personal representative to have the legal power to make personal care decisions for you.
- Money can be saved, by having a Representation Agreement in place. Where you do not have one, in the event you are declared incapable of looking after your own affairs, a family member or friend would be forced to make an application to court to be appointed a Committee for you, which would be costly.
- If you don’t have a Representation Agreement, either a court or a physician will appoint, without your permission, someone to act as your representative.
- Having a Representation Agreement in place will result in a lessening of the difficulty which family members are likely to face in terms of any health care decisions that will have to be made on your behalf.
- The confidentiality of your private and personal affairs will be maintained by having a Representation Agreement, as it will avoid the need for any government involvement.
Why use Onion Legal to help with creating your Representation Agreement?
Onion Legal’s Representation Agreement has been thoroughly reviewed by B.C lawyers to ensure that it meets with the strict requirements of the laws of British Columbia. By filling out our simple questionnaire you will create a comprehensive Representation Agreement that we are confident will surpass your expectations and more importantly give you the peace of mind you are looking for.
What does our carefully drafted Representation Agreement contain?
Our Representation Agreement contains clauses dealing with the following issues:
- Appointment of a representative;
- Powers of the representative;
- When your Representation Agreement becomes effective;
- Your wishes with respect to different types of medical treatment; and
- Termination of the Agreement.
How do I commence the process of creating my Representation Agreement?
Simply purchase our Representation Agreement, fill out a simple questionnaire. When you submit your questionnaire, your Representation Agreement will be assembled and emailed to you. All you have to do is to follow our easy guide on signing your Representation Agreement.